Why this blog

This blog is to give readers an idea of the social, economic and political issues across India and the world, supported with facts and data. To begin with most of my articles are India centric, but I would write about issues across the whole world because I consider myself a citizen of the world. Writing is just a way of creating awareness, however we must all step out of our houses and take-up service projects in groups in our respective localities to make the world a better place. The idea would be of "global vision and local action". We are a one world family and we all must Volunteer For A Better World.

Friday, May 23, 2014

Test of humanity !!

I have been writing a lot in this blog, but today I failed in the acid test. Today I faced a situation and I couldn't respond to it the way I was supposed to. I failed.

I was walking by the road and I saw one man lean and thin sitting by the edge of the road and vomiting blood. I saw this person sitting by the roadside shops for the past 2-3 days. He seemed like a beggar, but he was never begging. But today I saw him being surrounded by some people, I thought he might have met with an accident and had been injured and these people were taking care of him. Never did it occur to me that I should go there and enquire about the situation and then take whatever necessary action I can think of. So I proceeded for lunch. But the thought was worrying me all the while. Why didn't I do something about it, what if the man is sick, what can I do? Food was not really going down my throat. I finished my lunch in a hurry and rushed back to the same place. I saw a few cops standing there along with a couple of people. One of them was a coconut vendor selling tender coconut in the same place. I know him since that is the same route to my home from office. I asked him what had happened. He said that the man started vomiting blood. So he called the police and they had arranged an ambulance to take him to the Govt. hospital. The coconut vendor also said that the sick man was there for the past 3 days and had not been eating anything other than coconut water which I presume he had been providing free of cost. Also it was the coconut vendor who had spoken to the police and arranged for the ambulance. What an example of humanity !! Here I have been writing blogs about it, and there this simple coconut vendor(Murali) was practising humanity. So much more ahead of me in terms of his wisdom and spontaneity of action. I feel ashamed of myself that I could not do anything for that man, I could not practise the very ideals of humanity when the time came for me to act. I was hesitant, may be afraid, as to how would I deal with the situation if I took ownership of the situation. There is regret and there is remorse in me. I am deeply hurt by my inability to act when the time came. There is only one way I can deal with it. Today I take this vow that never again in my life I would let this happen.

A wise man once said, " we should have purity in heart, clarity in mind and spontaneity in action. That is when life becomes full " !!

No comments:

Post a Comment